Tuesday, April 17, 2007

in the balance

When I heard about the shootings at Virginia Tech yesterday my first reaction was – 2 hours?

Apparently there is some outrage growing today as well. Somewhere within Virginia Tech, someone was in charge. Someone got the call about the murders on campus, felt the flutter in his or her stomach, hairs stood on end, then the weight of responsibility began to descend and bear down hard. A decision had to be made. A course had to be set. Lives were in the balance.

Balance?

What was in the other side of the balance?

I have no idea who that person actually was or what actually went through their mind, but I can wonder. Maybe it was like this:

What if this could be contained as an isolated incident? Easily explained. It’s probably a lover’s quarrel gone bad. No threat to the masses. No one needs to know. It’s just a footnote on page 2B, and a statistic in some study. Don’t worry about your sons and daughters. Classes are still open. Business as usual.

Or maybe:

No one wants to overreact. Remember Chicken Little. You can handle this. Don’t lose your cool. You need to know the right thing to do. Everyone is counting on you. Don’t be a sissy like your dad always called you. What a pathetic waste you’ll be if you cancel classes and this turns out to be some small thing, or even a hoax. Everyone will despise you. You might even get fired. Just ease that finger off the button. Wait and see how this turns out. Be composed.

I was talking with a friend recently about an incident that happened where he worked. Someone accountable to him had behaved unethically, and he witnessed it. But instead of confronting the person right then and there, he let it go for more than a week. He finally decided that it was still wrong, and that it would be cowardice not to confront it, even if late. It didn’t go well. His motives were questioned, he was accused of trying to ruin the person, families got involved. Yuck.

My second son is a real gem. He is such a neat kid who will be a good man. But he catches so much flack around here. He has a habit of making messes and generally acting out (for attention?) so that he gets scolded a lot. He doesn’t find me to say goodnight like the other kids, is stiff as a board when he hugs people, and he always seems afraid of me, and he mumbles. I kept waiting for some teachable moment to come up that would allow me to really prize him and connect with him. It wasn’t happening. Then I decided to be intentional about praising him and valuing him. But even those days were mixed with scolding. I felt like I was losing him. I felt paralyzed, incapable of being his dad.

Maybe kind of like my friend with the ethical incident. Maybe kind of like the Virginia Tech official who decided to wait it out.

For one reason or another, a step in any direction seemed perilous. And all the safe steps had already been dead ends. What if I blow it? It seems like I have a lot to lose here.

One night…I don’t know what came over me…I think I just got fed up with feeling hamstrung…so I sat down and wrote my son an email. I told him about it being hard for me to express my feelings to him, and how awesome I thought he was. I gave him specifics. I told him how much he was prized, and how honored I was to be his dad. No buts. This was a huge risk for me, though. I hit send, and as soon as I did I felt so cheesy, so naked, so ridiculous. I actually felt like a coward. Why did I have to write a letter when I could just talk to him?

I copied my wife on the email. Her response was, “Wow. What a great thing to do.” I still wasn’t convinced. The next day I was out of state on business. I called back late the next night and asked Jill if Benjamin got the email. She said, “Yeah. He slept with it.” What? Yes, he read it over and over, got help printing it out, and then went to sleep with the letter held to his chest. I cried.

Since then Benjamin has been a new creature. He seems more true to himself. His jokes and mischief are authentic and therefore wonderful. He doesn’t seem to be afraid. He seems to be joyful most of the time. He relates well to his brothers and sister. He hugs me at bedtime. He speaks up. It is a noticeable change.

There is no doubt in my mind this is what he needed. And for the longest time I was blowing it. I was paralyzed. I withheld. I think the reason I did that for so long is because it felt like an admission of failure on my part. The real courage for me was admitting that I was struggling with something. And admitting that I was afraid and didn’t know exactly what to do.

It his me how I choose my steps a lot of the time so as to not blow my cover. There’s this balance between what people know about me and what they think about me that seems to be working pretty well. It’s gotten to a place of equilibrium anyway. And when things go sour or when a crisis comes up, I tend to get anxious and fearful, or calculative. In any case: paralyzed. To me the true courage is to admit that I don’t know what to do here, I want to be honest and connect with someone else, and I don’t really care if my cover is blown. Some things are more important. Pushing the honest button tilts the balance towards me being exposed, and also towards the truth. Pushing the button is the only way to advance the story. Whether it seems to be good for me right now or not, there is a bigger story being told, a weightier scale.

5 comments:

sam said...

You know what is so horrible about having read "Wild at Heart"? Knowing. Knowing that we'll wound our kids and there is NOTHING that we can do about it. The peculiar position that puts us in is that we also know what our kids need most from us. What tension we live in from day to day as we try to develop the diversity in our kids and also encourage unity in our family. Its a little 'university'(stolen from Ravi) and thats all it is. For us and them. God I hope they never grow up. I hope they always have the wonder that it took me 10 years to even begin to get back. Thanks Steve, I'm right there running alongside brother.

Steve Coan said...

I know. I owe so much to the Wild at Heart message. So much. How could I even quantify it?

The thing at play here went deeper than wounding my child. I have wounded my children every one. I have seen their faces fall when I lashed out in anger or shut them down somehow. But this one was something worse, something I couldn't even pinpoint, something that was deep and old, and nothing seemed to touch it.

I have made it a habit of mine to repent and ask my children's forgiveness when I hurt them. I have many times told them something like, "I really came down on you in the car too hard. I love you, and I want you to know that you didn't deserve that. Will you please forgive me?" This is a given. And this is to me a must. I have simply got to be authentic when I recognize that I have blown it with my kids. Or else what? I go on acting like my fit was somehow justified? and that my child is either evil or defective? No. I choose to be honest with them at all ages.

Just the other day, my five year old son, Joshua, followed me out to the car with a big smile on his face to hug me goodbye (I was running some errand during the day). I gave him a quick hug but then quickly broke it off, and asked him to run upstairs to the printer and get the page I just printed. I could tell he wasn't exactly sure what to do, but off he went. He came back in what was a bit too long with a piece of blank paper. I said, "No Joshua. I need the map I printed. Was there nothing printed on the printer?" I stormed out of the car and upstairs (these things usually come around when I'm in a hurry, uhuh). The other boys were doing their school work on the computer (typing program). I asked them if nothing printed. Christopher paused his exercise and told me that nothing printed. "Ugh!" I said. Now I will be even later. I went back to my car, got on the laptop, printed the map again, and then got it, and left. After I drove off, I felt terrible. My conscience was rerunning images from the corner of my eye showing Joshua timidly following me around with a questioning look. I called home and asked for Joshua. Here was our conversation:

I said, "Joshua, thank you so much for your help. You did just what I asked you to do. It wasn't your fault that nothing printed."

He exclaimed, "It wasn't my fault???"

"No. It wasn't your fault at all."

"Hmph. Do you want to talk to Grace again?"

"Hehe. Nope. Just wanted to tell you that."

"Ok. Goodbye."

"Goodbye, Joshua. I love you."

Now, lest you get the wrong idea about Joshua, let me assure you: Joshua is loved and Joshua knows he is loved. The typical response when I tell him, "Joshua, I love you" is, "I know."

And that's the way things usually go around here. Short accounts. Good accounts.

But this thing, this funk or spirit or cloud or whatever it is that sometimes comes to rest on the best of us, warning us not to tip the scale, tempting us to keep it all together, scaring us from acting at all... this thing is insidious.

If it gets hold of us, it can keep us trapped in a self-preservation form of denial and passivity for a long, long time. Posing. Fronting. Acting. And it might even convince us that we are being sophisticated or even level-headed and mature. Or worst of all, patient.

On the other hand, if we break through it by taking a step either to the right or the left, this thing loses its power. Now, what we get into by pushing the button might be difficult, we might lose something, but at least we can break out of this thing, and advance the Story.

MJ said...

You know, I have made myself get really honest and really vulnerable a lot this past year....boy is it uncomfortable, lots of nasty truths have risen to the surface. But, underneath that discomfort and pain is an authenticity that changes everything...it is like the velveteen rabbit and it is a really cool experience to step into real skin like that. Even for the teatative steps into this place of vulnerability and the discomfort with feeling naked and vulnerable, it has been so good. I'm glad to see you moving into that too. Some of it is really hard. When people judge or misunderstand you....it just hurts a lot more. But your relationships are so much deeper and that is really, really worth it. Your kids have a really loving dad. They are really blessed.

Steve Coan said...

Connections require vulnerability. So does reproduction.

sam said...

insidious is exactly the right word. I have made both too many of those phone calls and also not enough. When I'm delivered from my own "will to power" and can grasp the tender provision Jesus gave us of his strength perfected in our weekness, I err on the side of humility and loss and it seems to be stirring my heart and the hearts of my family toward much sweeter fruit. mj, I just reread your post as I finished and was about to submit and I find we've pretty much said the same things. I'm confident that this is the only way to live. I spent 8 hours on the road yesterday with two guys that work with me. Humility, vulnerability, and many other upside-down anti-world topics were discussed - that and how much we missed the 80's and 90's hair bands. We did church.

This song is resonating with me. It's in my heart and has found my voice. I admit to being a Christina Perry fan. I've been known to...