Saturday, April 21, 2007

how to fly, part ii

I was reading this article about Seung-Hui Cho and how all the people close to the Virginia Tech massacre are now second-guessing themselves, when I remembered one more thing about flying kites. It's quite obvious, and maybe that's why I didn't think to include it.

The article begins with a beautiful story of a professor, Lucinda Roy, who started a conversation with the very disturbed Cho about "the human need for friendship and the pain of being trapped inside oneself". She talked with him on three different occasions. But then she seems to me to have taken a different course. She alerted University officials about her fears of what was inside Cho, tried unsuccessfully to get him into counseling, and ultimately lost touch with him. The semester ended, and she went on leave.

Once the kite was off the ground and the big kids went to the hayride, I called Caleb (my 18 month old) over and offered to let him hold the string grip with me, which he did. Of course I didn't completely hand it over to him. And with that, here is:

8. Never let go of the string.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey steve, isn't it funny that Artos is talking about War Kites in his blog!!!

This song is resonating with me. It's in my heart and has found my voice. I admit to being a Christina Perry fan. I've been known to...