Monday, September 04, 2006

the most important person in the world

me

What makes me so sure I'm not the most important person in the world?

Really. I'm reading Blue Like Jazz again with some friends. And loving it. Loving it for the honesty that Don approaches his own life with, loving it for the candor, loving it for the humor, loving it for the conviction that burns in my heart as sure as a meaty set of curls burns in my biceps.

I have a friend whose email signature includes this tag line:



He does not believe who does not live according to his belief. - Thomas Fuller

And that's what Don Miller and his friend Andrew the Protester have been saying in Blue Like Jazz. "What I believe is not what I say I believe; what I believe is what I do." So at the end of his chapter on belief (subtitled: the birth of cool) I wrote the words above. Because really, if I look at how I spend my time, my money, mainly my time, what evidence is there that I don't think I'm the most important person in the world? Of course it's a scientific/modern approach to knowledge, a bit of fact gathering to draw a reasonable conclusion and all. I'm done with that. But I do think it's important to consider whether my words and my actions are really on the same team. Am I really and truly conferring to the world the kingdom that was conferred to me, or am I only getting real good at talking about it?

If the main naked person I clothe is me, and the main hungry person I feed is me, and the main person I open the door to my house for is me, and the main thirsty person I give something to drink is me, the main sick person I care for is me, and the main prisoner I am there for is me, then don't I really believe that the main manifestation of Jesus Christ in the world today is me?

1 comment:

John Three Thirty said...

man, your last two paragraphs cut through the marrow.

I think you've established a new definition of "on the mark".

I am cut and encouraged at the same time.

Wow, man.

Shake that bush one more time!!!!!!! :-)

This song is resonating with me. It's in my heart and has found my voice. I admit to being a Christina Perry fan. I've been known to...