Friday, September 22, 2006

more details

So I’m doing some work for this consulting company, and they have this crazy idea about entering time daily, and being accountable for every minute of the day, and coding that to a list of valid activities, some 'billable' and some not. And having it entered by the end of the same day of said activities. Sheesh. Their reasoning is that if they have better data and more of it, it helps them in collections.

Here’s what they grossly misunderstand. If people like you they will pay their bills. They will pay quickly and fully. If people don’t like you, more data just gives them more not to like. If you want collections to go more smoothly there is one sure solution. Make them like you. There are hundreds of ways to accomplish that. Racking your labor force is not one of them.

Truly, keeping a meticulous list of what someone owes you is enough to drain any chance at trust and friendship and joy off of any relationship.

4 comments:

MJ said...

Kind of a comment on grace isn't it. Can one dance when they are watching, constantly their feet? What I hear is a testimony to how God is in here. Not asking us to keep a meticulous list of righteous acts, but to do right out of admiration and gratitude.

Steve Coan said...

Yes. Grace as a way of living rather than as a doctrine. Grace as mutual generosity. I wouldn't say it's about "doing right" (I have an aversion to "doing right"), but it is about pleasing each other, enjoying each other, and inviting each other's glory to illuminate the other, not holding someone to a standard or a promise or penance.

One thing that bothers me about modern "victory" Christianity is this idea of "claiming God's promises". It reminds me an awful lot of enforcing a contract.

When I am tempted to draw a tight contract, to hold the line, I have but to consider the fruit of that seed. Generosity breeds generosity, "For of His fulness we have all received, and grace for grace."

It's not that contracts and promises are unimportant or shouldn't be honored. It's that if I set out from the beginning to live a life according to contract, then I have at the same time chosen not to live a generous, graceful, joyful life.

Thanks for stopping by, and I have enjoyed your poetry.

MJ said...

Thanks. I feel you about the "victory" stuff too. I have gone with believers of that flavor in the past and it has left me so dry. I have only really felt connected to Christ as I have, like he, pulled away from the crowd and saught solitude. Sad though this may be, I am at least enjoying a great deal of communion digitally.

Steve Coan said...

Digital Communion - LOL. I know what you mean. Someone should make a website.

This song is resonating with me. It's in my heart and has found my voice. I admit to being a Christina Perry fan. I've been known to...