Monday, September 12, 2005

too simple to be true

We've read several of these Christian Heroes: Then & Now books. I overheard this one from the lunch-time reading today:

Sundar Singh (1889-1929), a former Sikh, became a Christian sadhu (holy man) and at great risk devoted his life to Christ. With bare feet and few possessions he crossed the precarious Himalayas between India and Tibet many times, sharing the gospel with Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, and even thieves.

Once, on his way from Tibet back to India along the Hindustani-Tibet road, he heard of a holy man who had taken an oath of silence. Sundar made a detour to the village where the man lived and went to see him. He was immediately impressed with the fact that this sadhu was a genuine seeker of the truth. In his quest the old man had not spoken a word for six years. Sundar was eager to question him, and the old man offered him a slate and chalk.

On the slate Sundar wrote, “Didn’t God give us a tongue so that we can speak? Why do you not use yours to worship and praise the Creator instead of remaining silent?”

The sadhu thought for a moment and then erased Sundar’s question and wrote, “You are right. I’m sure God does want our praise, but my nature is so evil that I cannot hope for anything good to come out of my mouth. Therefore I have remained silent for six years. It is better that I remain silent until I receive some blessing or message that can help others.”

Sundar then told him about Jesus Christ and how His [resurrection] could change any person’s heart from evil to good, but the sadhu wrote that he found the idea too simple to be true, so Sundar parted from him without a word.

From Sundar Siungh: Footprints Over the Mountains by Janet & Geoff Benge

I think, too, that it is better to remain silent until receiving some blessing or message that can help others. And I have received such a message. The message is that your life matters to God, and He promises that if you simply turn to Jesus Christ and accept his offer of life, that He will restore your life so fully and completely that you will be glorious beyond imagination. It begins first in your heart, your deepest truest self, the one you refer to when you say “I” as God miraculously transforms your evil heart into a good heart, and then takes up residency there. From that seat of power, new Life spreads like yeast into every part of you—your thoughts, your body, and even beyond to your family, friends, community, culture, property, nature, and even the whole world.

Only until recently I thought that even as a believer in Jesus Christ my heart was bad, that it was in opposition to God, and that to believe otherwise was heretical. Why, I wonder, would the ones who propagate that not at least have the courage of conviction to remain silent like this sadhu? After all, "out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks." The truth is that the heart is central to the restoration of any of us. The truth is that a good heart is capable of not only retaining and producing, but also offering life to others. The truth is that some people do have good hearts, and how happy I was to find out that I was one of them! It changes everything. It changes the way I live, the way I look at sin and inconsistencies within myself, the way I look at others, the way I deal with conflicts. My heart is good, and if you believe in Jesus Christ your heart is good, too.

Too simple to be true? that simply accepting Christ’s offer of life made available by his resurrection is enough to transform a heart and life from evil to good? I think the best things are simple. Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Not even Solomon in all his glory was dressed out like one of them. Problems and conflicts and messages where lies and deceptions and rationalization have crept in are complicated. Life simply wants to live and to enjoy, to grow, and to speak. Isn't that true?

No comments:

This song is resonating with me. It's in my heart and has found my voice. I admit to being a Christina Perry fan. I've been known to...