Thursday, July 14, 2005

A child again

Watching A River Runs Through It recently renewed an old itch and reminded me of a deep longing that I have allowed myself to recognize in my heart. The words of the aging father from his pulpit reminds a son of home, and me as well.

In the glow of awakened memories, when the deepest feelings of the heart are all astir, we are reminded of the poet who sings:

Backward, turn backward,
O time in your flight.
Make me a child again
Just for tonight


Man, are there ever longings lost to the past, attached to memories, some sweet, some sour, all calling. Why didn't I learn to love fishing with my dad? Why didn't I treasure the gifts of my mom more? Why couldn't my sister and I have shared the peace we have today back then? And friendship, things that would have been rich in life to share, people who needed what I had to offer? I don't even want to go there.

Make me a child again, just for tonight. That is, as long as this night will never end.

No comments:

This song is resonating with me. It's in my heart and has found my voice. I admit to being a Christina Perry fan. I've been known to...