Tuesday, April 14, 2009

to-day

Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call to-day his own;
He who, secure within, can say,
To-morrow, do thy worst, for I have liv'd to-day.

That's from Imitation of Horace. Book iii. Ode 29, Line 65. But honestly, it doesn't matter what book, chapter, and verse it's from, whether it's written in Horace, the Bible, the Torah, the Qur'an, the Bhagavad-Gita, the Scientology Handbook, the Book of Mormon, Why I Am an Agnostic, or the Tao-te-Ching.

One of the amazing things we in our little fellowship chewed on during Lent was this accusation that Jesus wasn't much of a planner. In Jesus Christ Superstar, Judas accused, "You'd have managed better if you had it all planned." Jesus is guilty as charged. He lived today. Tomorrow had its own designs. He lived today well. And since we've just come by Easter, I will also say: He lives today well. "In ten thousand places, lovely in limbs, and lovely in eyes not his, to the Father through the features of men's faces."

This is the way.

No comments:

This song is resonating with me. It's in my heart and has found my voice. I admit to being a Christina Perry fan. I've been known to...