Wednesday, February 11, 2009

short and decisive

I just read this. It was the thought of the moment over on the anagram server.

The belief in the possibility of a short, decisive war appears to be one of the most ancient and dangerous of human illusions. -Robert Lynd, writer (1879-1949)

This must be true. But why does it FEEL like short and decisive and war should go together?

This feeling accounts for a lot of misery and confusion in the church that meets at my house, and among some other friends, I think. Just like America felt like "shock and awe" in Iraq and Afghanistan would do the trick, everyone feels like God could just fix things by a little shock and awe smackdown on evil. Two thousand and some years later we're still embroiled in this thing. Maybe that's just not how things work.

So who is spinning this illusion? Our own laziness?

2 comments:

sam said...

spot on, here's to being part of generations of redemption ahead!

peace

Anonymous said...

worshipwiththetruth.blogspot.com please read the blogs and do the Ordinance for this is the time God has foreordained for His people

This song is resonating with me. It's in my heart and has found my voice. I admit to being a Christina Perry fan. I've been known to...