Saturday, August 27, 2005

if it is to be it is up to me

Just 10 little 2 letter words that meant so much to me in my youth.

IF IT IS TO BE IT IS UP TO ME

Had you toured my high school bedroom, you would have seen these 20 letters proudly displayed in varnished wood across one wall. And that basically described me. But it was my wounds, not my nourishment, that convinced me that I was all alone in this life, that there is no help. The truth is that very little is up to me. There is a very large story unfolding, scene by scene, act by act, setting by setting, age by age, that I am not making happen but rather am swept into. There is more going on than I can possibly make happen, more than I can possibly fathom, more than I can possibly do alone. And how comforting to know that it is not all up to me. My life is not the story, but I have a role to play in it, and there is at least one who is available to help me do it. My lines have fallen to me in pleasant places.

1 comment:

Jon said...

I ran across a couple thoughts from scripture that have become a light on the path. One is in the words of Paul, who saw his role this way (paraphrased by me):

From now on we see no one from simply a worldly point of view, with earthly eyes. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. This is how we see it now: if anyone is in Christ, he is a new, mysterious creation! The old has gone, the new has come!

All this is from God, who first restored us to himself through Christ and then gave us the ministry of restoration.

Here is our message: God is restoring the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of restoration!

We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you then on Christ's behalf: Be restored to God!

------

The second is from the very end of John's vision, where we are pictured as the beautiful bride of Christ, and this is how it goes (again, paraphrased slightly):

"I, Jesus, have sent my messenger to give you this testimony for the churches. Tell them, I am the Root and the Offspring of David, I am the bright Morning Star."

The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears the invitation say, "Come!"

Whoever is thirsty, let him come.

Whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life.
------

I feel as though I carry a great invitation, with the signet of God Himself sealing it shut. Inside it are the words of life. The message of restoration.

This song is resonating with me. It's in my heart and has found my voice. I admit to being a Christina Perry fan. I've been known to...